Monday, February 13, 2012

WAY BACK WHEN IN BANGKOK...

It's been over a month since we were in Thailand. And that is just crazy. Time is flying right by on this adventure! I finally got some of my favorite shots together from our time in Bangkok and this week seems like the perfect time to share, as we will be heading off to Vietnam on Thursday and I can't have photos from two trips just sitting in the bank... So without further ado, I hope you enjoy some snippets from our time in BKK!






We spent Christmas in Bangkok and more specifically at Chatuchak market, seen above. There's no way for me to capture the scope of this market on my camera... So I just went with roaming rooster and succulents. Both are adorable. In addition to birds, and the awesome plant life for sale at dirt cheap prices (exercising self control in the face of tiny cacti - yep, I'm awesome), one could buy anything from vintage Levi's to handmade baskets, and even a Husky puppy! We settled on a frozen chocolate-dipped banana.





One morning, I got up mega early, jumped on the sky train and just started wandering around. This was a few days into the trip and at this point, poor Stu had been bed (and bathroom) ridden for days, sicker than a dog with food poisoning. Poor guy managed to get sick after only our first full day in Bangkok. At least we had already ticked "get two hour Thai massage" off our list! Yay! Anyway, after hanging around the hotel for well over 36 hours and when I could safely assume this illness wasn't going to claim him (it was kinda scary, people), I had to have an adventure. I took the sky train to one of the stops we'd gone to on Christmas, figuring I could safely navigate the area, when not 3 blocks into my wandering did I find a beautiful "wat", temple, in the middle of the city. Wat Pathum Wanaram was completely empty. The sun hadn't even come up by the time I arrived. It was such a peaceful experience to take in this Buddist temple at dawn, when everything was so still and empty.





A day or two after my excursion, and with Stu feeling worlds better, We wandered around finding art museums (look at that view down from the top floor!), more crazy markets, more wats, and just enjoying being in such a different setting.

We wandered through neighborhoods, met a million stray kitties, took a thrilling boat taxi ride, and went for a night stroll through one of the largest and oldest parks in Bangkok.






I read somewhere that the couple that takes a ride together in one of these adorable swan boats will break up after they return to shore. Maybe that was just for a particular pond in Japan, but we played it safe and kept our distance... Plus, they were closed.




Our hostel, shown above, was really something I can only describe as "Swiss Family Robinson"' meets "Hook ". Part tree house, part wooden pirate ship cabin. Sounds awesome right? It was.

We can't wait for our next trip. Vietnam here we come!

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...